Saturday, January 23, 2010

Polish: The Gurus

When I began obsessing over nail polish several months ago, I started to read polish blogs. I was craving grey crèmes, and needed some guidance on where to find them. While I didn’t actually find what I was looking for at a price I was willing to pay, I did end up becoming a loyal follower of three blogs in particular: Vampy Varnish, Scrangie, and All Lacquered Up.

Why these three? They just happened to be some of the first blogs I stumbled upon.  There are many, many wonderful nail polish blogs out there, and I have read bits and pieces of many; these three have just stuck with me. I’m sure I could fall in love with many other blogs as well, but I’m working very hard at not doing so right now. I don’t particularly want my daily internet ritual to become an hours-long event. So for right now, these are the blogs that I read and the wonderful women from whom I draw my blogging inspiration. They have brought the internet nail polish world to me, and introduced me to wonderful new products I probably never would have tried without them. In fact, if it weren’t for Scrangie, I probably never would have discovered and NEEDED China Glaze’s Fortune Teller. I actually went on a (failed) hunt to track down a bottle. My family thought I was insane, but I knew it would be worth it. Finding a bottle under the Christmas tree this year had me sporting halloween-esque nails in December, but I didn’t care. It was totally worth it. But I digress.

A helpful disclaimer: these women are not, nor do they claim to be professionals. They all admit that this is simply a hobby and passion of theirs and that they have no professional training or expert authority whatsoever. They post their honest opinions and share their personal perspectives. That I look up to and trust the advice of these women is my responsibility, not theirs. They did not ask me to trust them, to consider them my “gurus,” or even to write this post about them. I simply wanted you to know to whom I am referring when I mention “the gurus.” Do I consider everything they write to be absolute truth? No. I don’t always agree with the things that they post. Right now, All Lacquered Up is running a series on mannequin hands, and I think the concept is hideous. Vampy Varnish recently wrote a relatively well-researched post about acetone and its potential toxicity; I respectfully disagree with how she made her conclusions, but I agree with her conclusions themselves. These blogs are written by real people, who have their own opinions, and just because I look up to them it doesn’t mean I agree with everything they write. They are wonderful, inspiring blogs and I admire the women who write them. It’s that simple.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I just wanted to let you know that this little blurb you wrote, was so touching. =D

    ReplyDelete